Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Truely Modest Swimwear

Not long ago, I caught some blogger making fun of a new style of womens' swimwear. (Lucky for him/her, I lost track of their blog)

This blogger had a hard time accepting that such a radically different design could be modest when it would draw so much attention. This blogger also missed the point.

Modesty is not simply trying to avoid attention. Modesty is about avoiding inappropriate attention. Or to put it bluntly, it's about avoiding sexual attention.

I learned something about myself when I checked out the designs. As they came up on the screen, I could feel my eyes heave a huge sigh of relief. Without even realizing it, I've trained myself to visually tense up and keep my eyes on high alert when I know I'm going to see womens' swimwear.

With these designs, I felt for the first time that it was safe to let my guard down around clothing of this type.

Keep that in mind when you check out the designs at WholesomeWear.com

UPDATE: I found it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the idea is alright, but those suits look difficult to swim in, atleast for me. They look to be really warm as well, but I have no experience with trying one on for sure. The snaping and unsnapping of the skirt for walking/town does sound pretty cool though. I'd probably just use a beach coverup.

Kim said...

Yeah, swimming in something that billowy can just get awkward. I've done it with long gym shorts ans a tshirt, and I've gotta say that I don't much like the feel. And those suite would give you a worse tan line than a lot of summer clothes. I dunno, I'd rather stick with my tankini. And just so you know, it actually meets in the middle and doesn't show my belly, the bottom piece is shorts and the top in entirely functional. You can be modest without going to crazy extremes that inhibit motion.

Anonymous said...

I think the guy that was talking about them, in your updated link that you found, was saying stuff similiar to what Kim and I are. It's great to be modest but sometimes, and in my opinion those swimwear, it gets a bit out of hand. Tankini's are the bomb!

~Kevin said...

I think I know the two of you well enough to ask this: Since when has being radically different from the rest of "normal" society bothered you?

Anonymous said...

Being radically different from society doesn't bother me. I just wouldn't wear those, because they'd be too warm and hard to swim in.