Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Half Truth

I've heard it said that the best lie is the one that's closest to the truth.

I was listening to Pandora.com earlier this morning and caught myself about to skip over a song that I reflexively identified as objectionable. The guy started singing about snuggling up with his sweetie in bed, I instantly brought up the window, and I hesitated.

Is this not a part of the Beauty I'm looking forward to? Is our sex crazed culture really that far off? Should Christian-folk really be any less excited about it than anyone else? (as long as we keep it in His context, of course.)

The lyrics never got anymore explicit that what I just described, and he didn't brag about or even mention that she wasn't his wife, so when I got over my initial reaction and rethought what I was listening to, it was really kind of sweet.

It seems like the Church is considerably more efficient at telling us what God has to say about what not to do before marriage, but what about after? Why do we hear so much more about the time Jesus equated gazing lustfully with adultery, than we do about, say, any thing from the Song of Solomon? Neither topic is kid stuff, so it can't be that we're too shy, can it? Is it just that it's easier to shun all sexual activity in general?

Seems like this is why church people are thought of as close minded or prudish about sex.

No comments: